Retro-commissioning (RCx) is the systematic discovery, documentation, review, and improvement of energy operations through NO-COST OR LOW-COST SAVINGS OPPORTUNITIES (repair, adjustment, control) that match building performance to current functional requirements. FREE objective retrocommissioning CONSULTATION SERVICES are provided for public sector facilities in Illinois through funding from participating investor-owned utilities. These services offer guidance and analysis to improve the energy performance of your building by FOCUSING PRIMARILY ON HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems). In addition to saving energy, RCx recommendations can contribute to longer equipment life, lower maintenance costs, and fewer comfort complaints
This program establishes an 18-24 month collaborative partnership between building stakeholders and the RCx provider for investigation and optimization of building operations. RCx service providers work collaboratively with building staff and contractors to determine measures for correct and efficient energy systems operation. Through trend data analysis and functional testing, equipment faults and optimization opportunities are identified.
RCx analysis is fully funded by participating investor-owned utilities in Illinois. Each participant must only cover costs associated with implementing the measures recommended by the RCx analysis, attend meetings, as well as assist RCx service providers in acquiring facility information.
Eligibility for the program year is limited to public sector entities that have electric service delivered by ComEd utility. Local or state governments, K-12 school districts, community colleges, and public universities are eligible to apply.
Applicant eligibility is limited to existing buildings that:
- Receive electrical delivery service from ComEd, regardless of supplier. Note: Public buildings receiving natural gas from Nicor Gas, North Shore Gas, or Peoples Gas may also be eligible for inclusion of natural gas savings measures.
- Have a building size of at least 150,000 (gross) square feet.
- Have a functioning building automation system (BAS) and agree to provide BAS access to the RCx service provider.
- Have an energy use index (indices) showing a potential to produce significant electrical and natural gas savings through RCx.
- Have not had an RCx study done in the last 3 years.
To be considered for the program, applicants must:
- Submit a Notice of Interest (NOI) form.
- Submit an RCx application (after approval of NOI).
- Provide energy bills for one year.
Successful applicants must agree to:
- Commit funding (minimum $10,000 implementation requirement) to implement measures found by the RCx service provider.
- Implement all measures by October 31, 2018.
The facility owner is required to commit funding for participating in the process, completing the project plan, and implementing measures. The owner must be prepared to assume costs and expenses of at least $10,000 for agreed-upon measures that result in an estimated simple payback of 18 months or less based upon electrical and natural gas savings. If at least $10,000 worth of measures recommended are not implemented within 10 months of receipt of recommendations or by October 31, 2018, whichever comes first, the owner will be responsible for reimbursing the program for the cost of the analysis.
The RCx program is an 18 month to 24 month partnership between the RCx provider and the building stakeholders for investigation and optimization of building operations. The RCx provider conducts a facility assessment to diagnose problems and make recommendations for minor low-cost adjustments that can be made quickly, as well as recommendations for more substantial improvements. An assessment of cost, savings, and payback is part of the process. The RCx provider will then work with the customer’s implementation team to fully investigate, implement, and verify the recommended measures.
Become a RCx Service Provider
Are you an experienced RCx provider? Want to participate in our program? SEDAC invites interested architects and engineers experienced in retro-commissioning to become pre-qualified RCx Service Provider by completing the Request for Qualifications (RFQ). Learn more.
For More Information
To learn more about RCx Program, determine eligibility, or to find out how to apply, please call 312.267.2865 or email RCx@SEDAC.org
Links To Retro-Commissioning Documents
- DOE EERE Federal Energy Management Program
- ENERGY STAR® Building Manual
- SEDAC RCx Poster
- SEDAC RCx Brochure